June 1932 being led by God’s spirit, the late Elder R.D. Wilson and his devoted wife, also the late Mother Betty Wilson, started prayer meetings in their home. As a result of these services Holy Temple Church of God in Christ, was established located at 1059 Burns Ave. Under his leadership may souls were saved, including the late Mother Josephine Redding who was appointed Church Mother and served diligently and faithfully her role under the leadership of three (3) positions.
May 1966, the late Elder Harrison Wiley and his dedicated wife the late Missionary Viola Wiley were appointed to lead the Church onto greater horizons. The church was blessed naturally and spiritually under the ministry.
April 1971, Elder Leroy Sutton was appointed Pastor of Holy Temple by the late Bishop C.E. Bennett. Elder Sutton accepted the challenge to reach higher, nobler plan of living through spiritual influence, counsel and preaching to the unchurched and the unsaved as well. The late and beloved Sister Helen Sutton, his loyal wife embraced her husband’s undertaking with enthusiastic support and their three children, Eld. Leroy Sutton III, Min. Mark Sutton and Sis Starla Ross working faithfully and diligently for the cause of Kingdom building. The Church increased spiritually, numerically and educationally under the outstanding leadership of this man servant, and his devoted wife.
On January 9, 1994, the Lord called Sister Helen Sutton from labor to reward. We will continue to remember her many efforts, qualities and the great love she exhibited towards the church. Sister Sutton’s spirit will remain with us forever.
After receiving a vision from the Lord, our Pastor (Elder Sutton) put into motion to erect a New Sanctuary in January 1972. The church family also became envision. As a result, April 1974 we were blessed to purchase property adequate for our church, as the vision unfolded ground breaking services were held November 1975. Construction began January 1976. Upon completion, we celebrated our grand opening August 1976 marching from Holy Temple eight (8) blocks away singing “We’ve come this far by Faith” to our new church home. Greater Holy Temple. On Sunday September 11, 1977, we celebrated the dedication of our new sanctuary. We witnessed another momentous occasion, our mortgage burning ceremony on Saturday, August 17, 1991. Seeing that our new membership increased numerically God gave Pastor Sutton another vision. On Sunday, March 21, 1996 we again embarked upon another ground-breaking service for the new addition to our new church. The new addition to our new church. The new addition was completed in June of 1997, the Greater Holy Temple family, was proud to say that we made our last payment for the new addition on November 1, 2000. In 2009 we watched another vision unfold the completion of the Joy Center. Through much fasting, praying, hard work, sacrificial offerings, tithing and generous donations from well-wishers, and many friends the Lord has continued to bless us. We give God all the honor and glory.
On February 13, 2014, the Lord called our Pastor, Superintendent Leroy W. Sutton home from labor to reward.
As a result, on Saturday April 16th 2014 Elder Lee D. Ross was installed as the new Pastor. Elder Lee and Sister Starla Ross are continuing the legacy of reaching the lost and edifying the flock which God has placed in their care. Greater Holy Temple continues to be a growing church for growing people. We are delighted to say the Lord is blessing and adding souls, healing and baptizing with the Holy Ghost in this place. Because of Christ’s love. “The God before us is not Greater than God’s power behind us.”! TO GOD BE THE GLORY!